December 30, 2010

End of 2010 Survey





Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner created this 2010 reading survey, and I've seen so many other bloggers participating I thought I'd join in.


1. Best book of 2010? Argh, I can’t choose. Mockingjay for its epic-ness, Paranormalcy for its creative fun, and both The Body at the Tower by Y. S. Lee and Jasmyn by Alex Bell for unputdownability and entertainment value.

2. Worst book of 2010? Well, I don’t really want to label any book ‘worst’ so I’ll just skip this one.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010? I think it’s a toss-up between Beautiful Creatures and Firelight.  Both had tons of buzz but failed to deliver for me. Runner-up would be The Maze Runner.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Either Paranormalcy (because I really wasn’t too sure I would like it) or Nothing by Janne Teller (it had no publicity, but packed a punch for me). Also Nevermore, because it was so much more intricate and developed than I had anticipated, without falling prey to some of the stereotypical tropes of paranormal YA.

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? Probably The Hunger Games series.

6. Best series you discovered in 2010? The Agency series by Y. S. Lee, since I’ve quite enjoyed the first two. Other series that have potential (but so far only have one book) are: Paranormalcy, Matched, and Nevermore.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Kiersten White, Ally Condie, Y.S. Lee, Kelly Creagh

8. Most hilarious read of 2010? I don’t actually recall reading many laugh-out-loud, side-splittingly-funny books this year… I should remedy that in 2011!

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010? Well, I devoured Mockingjay. Also, I stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish The Body at the Tower, and I found Jasmyn by Alex Bell to be very addictive – I just had to keep reading to find out what was happening.

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010? Like almost everyone else: Mockingjay. I was so excited for this one…it almost rivalled my anticipation of the final Harry Potter book.

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? 

 

12. Most memorable character in 2010? I really can’t decide. Most of the books mentioned already have memorable characters, which is probably why they keep popping up in these lists!

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? Twenty Boy Summer, Plain Kate and Matched get to vy for this title.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Still Alice by Lisa Genova was a very scary, well-written and emotionally moving read. And Mockingjay had me thinking about it for a few days after I’d finished.

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? I can’t think of one for this category, really.


9 comments:

  1. Firelight! Thank you! I had such high hopes for that one--the cover, the plot--oh gosh I even made my fiance drive with me to pick it up and then...eh. I didn't hate it, but I really didn't love it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you about Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to read all those books but couldn't due to many reasons which are mainly inconveniences.I am mostly reading those books that comes on my way. But a huge thanks for letting me know those good books which I hope to read in future.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about Mockingjay, nut I was really looking forward to Matched as well! Luckily, one of the bookstores near me got it the day before it came out! And I must say that I agree with you about not calling any books the worst, even though I've read some that really aren't that great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Maze Runner was sort of a let down for me too. I liked it but didn't love it like I was expecting based on the reviews I read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!

    Just camr around this blog because I was looking forward for a review of Matched, and after reading the review, I looked through all your posts and reviews! I like the details in your review that no other blog has (or maybe I haven't come across them yet! lol)

    I ordered a couple of books after reading their review! =D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I loved your endings discussion! It was actualy what finally got me thinking of writing a discussion post myself. I agree about the questions, I really need to get thinking about them.
    I've only seen the newer Sense and Senseibility film but I'll have to fix that soon! Also, I'll be off to add my post to the link up now, I fogot about it before :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Small Review: Yes, I know - I saw so many glowing reviews of Firelight but it did not wow me at all :(

    @Anonymous: Thanks for your nice comment - hope you enjoy your books! :)

    @Stephanie: Aw, glad to hear you enjoyed the discussion about endings too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Still need to read Mockingjay and Catching Fire. I'm probably one of the few ppl who haven't yet but will try to remedy that in the new year :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails