December 8, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Dark Mirror and Vicious Little Darlings

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:


Dark Mirror by M. J. Putney




"Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the Earl and Countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.

Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted…by magic. When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.

But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever known or considered important will be challenged. What lies ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth
."


Regency period? Check. Magic? Check. Accidents and abbeys? Check. What is not to love about the premise of this novel, and how come it wasn't on my radar before now? It is definitely on my wishlist now!


And that's not even mentioning the cover, which is beautiful and is making me wonder what the significance of the mirror is...


Vicious Little Darlings by Katherine Easer




Goodreads' description:

"Sarah Weaver wasn't looking forward to starting at an all-girls school. But that was before she met Maddy. Maddy and her best friend, Agnes, are fun and rich and interesting—and for some reason, they seem to really like Sarah. Before long, Maddy and Agnes have moved Sarah into a big house off campus, where they cook together, buy each other presents, and share each other's secrets. So why does Sarah feel like something's bizarrely wrong? As more and more cracks start to show in Maddy's and Agnes's perfect veneers, Sarah notices some strange and disturbing things: Maddy's compulsive lying, Agnes's obsession with Maddy, and the deterioration of their friendship. And just when Sarah begins to question her own sanity, things turns deadly. Fans of Pretty Little Liars will devour this juicy debut novel."

Well, I haven't read Pretty Little Liars (should I?), but this one sounds all psychologically twisty and full of secrets... also the cover is pretty eye-catching!

What books are you waiting on?


12 comments:

  1. I found Vicious Little Darlings the other day, but I never heard of Dark Mirror! Thanks for pointing out a new book for me, Danya! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...haven't heard of either of these and yet I am intrigued! Great choices...think I may be adding one (maybe both) to my wish list very soon...happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you picked two absolutely fabulous books Danya! I want both of them :) I hadn't heard of the first one but I'm intrigued now. And the cover for Vicious Little Darlings is beautiful and a little disturbing at the same time. Can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait for Dark Mirror! Doesn't it sound great? I like this cover better than the one I saw earlier.

    I'm curious about Vicious Little Darlings. It sounds a lot like PLL, which I liked, but hated almost all of the characters.

    Here's what I'm waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of either of these. Both sound fascinating. Especially Dark Mirror.
    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dark Mirror sounds awesome! I am adding it to my TBR list right now. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both books are new to me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Storm Before Atlanta
    By Karen Schwabach
    Publication date: December 28, 2010

    At a time when most people have grown weary of the war between the states, two young children are desperate to find their way to the battlefields. Jeremy DeGroot wants nothing more than to join a troop as a drummer boy. For Dulcie, a runaway slave, freedom means she must head directly toward the fighting in the hopes that she'll become "contraband," that is, property of the Union troops. Both Jeremy and Dulcie find a place with the 107th New York Volunteer Regiment and even start to forge a friendship. But all that is threatened when they keep crossing paths with the mysterious Charlie, a young Confederate soldier, who may look like the enemy but feels more like a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, I would like to second everything you said about Dark Mirror! Amazeballs! O_O

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of Dark Mirror before but loving the premise and the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't heard of either of these but teh summaries sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, WOW~! Dark Mirror looks and sounds fantastic! I haven't heard of it, thanks for putting it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails