December 9, 2010

All I Want For Christmas Is... (9)


This is a feature/meme where I choose a book each week leading up to Christmas and say why it's made it onto my wishlist – and I'd love to see what books everyone else is hoping to get! I'll be posting my pick each Thursday, but you guys can link up and visit other people's posts all through the week.

This week's pick: Must've Done Something Good by Cheryl Cory
From Goodreads:

"If you love "The Sound of Music" and "Pride and Prejudice," prepare to be enchanted by "Must've Done Something Good!"

Sylvie O'Rourke, "The Sound of Music" devotee and born procrastinator, is about to die. Well, she thinks she is, anyway, and so attempts a last-ditch bargain with God for her life.

"You guys are my witnesses," she tells her sisters somewhere over Connecticut. "If we get out of this plane alive, I promise to do something good with my life."

Back on firm ground, Kate and Meg won't let their sister forget her promise, and with their years of practice hitting just the right chords of guilt ("What kind of person lies to God?" Meg wants to know), Sylvie finally caves.

A teaching position at the broken-down St. Matthew's High School appears to be Sylvie's perfect opportunity to do some good. That is, until she's snubbed by a fellow teacher on the first day of school.

Whether she's becoming a bit too invested in the students' fall fundraiser or directing the school's sure-fire musical disaster, Sylvie's charmingly irreverent style gets her called down to the principal more often than her students. Can Sylvie keep her promise and make it through the year, dignity and sanity intact?
"
This is one of the few non-YA books on my list, but doesn't it sound like fun? I am a big Sound of Music and Pride and Prejudice fan, and plus I've had a bit of teaching experience...so this book sounds like a perfect fit. And that cover is so cute too!

What books are you hoping turn up under your tree? Link up your posts below! :D 



9 comments:

  1. Oh, this totally does sound fun, and while I don't read much non-YA, I'm definitely adding this to my list! Thanks, Danya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my kind of book! Thank you for posting about it, I haven't heard of it before but it's about to join the army of want-to-reads on my Amazon wish list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like such a fun read! I hope you get it for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this book. And the cover really looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent idea--and this book sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting looking book, I'm intrigued! I've posted mine =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both those movies so I'll probably like this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good read. Hope Santa brings it your way!

    Got mine up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one does sound really interesting and I love all the green on the cover, it just looks really inviting:) Nice choice Danya!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails