December 1, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: In the Shadow of the Lamp and Between the Sea and Sky


Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:
In the Shadow of the Lamp by Susanne Dunlap


Goodreads' description:

It's 1854 and sixteen-year-old Molly would give anything to change her circumstances as a lowly servant in a posh London house. So when she hears of an opportunity to join the nurses who will be traveling with Florence Nightingale to the Crimea, she jumps at the chance. The work is grueling, the hospital conditions deplorable, and Miss Nightingale a demanding teacher.

Before long, the plight of British soldiers becomes more than just a mission of mercy as Molly finds that she's falling in love with both a dashing young doctor and a soldier who has joined the army to be near her. But with the battle raging ever nearer, can Molly keep the two men she cares for from harm?

A love story to savor, and a fascinating behind-the-scenes imagining of the woman who became known as "the lady with the lamp."

I'm not too familiar with Florence Nightingale but I'd be interested in learning more, so I'm looking forward to this one. The cover is really pretty in a subtle way, I like that she has her head turned away and the candlelight underscores the title nicely.

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore


Goodreads' description:

For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her sister as a siren, the highest calling a mermaid can have. But when her sister runs away to the mainland, reportedly to elope with a human, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. 

Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily through the streets of New Sweeling. There, she will come upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood - Alandare, a boy, now a man, who belongs to a winged race of people. Together, Esmerine and Alandare put aside their differences to find her sister, and in the process discover a love that cannot be bound by land, sea, or air.

This reminds me of a quote from the movie Ever After:
  


"A bird may love a fish, signore, but where will they live?"

"Then I shall have to make you wings.


Love that quote! Anyway I like the premise of this one, and the cover is amazing. Such a lot of pretty blue shades all in one place!

What books are you waiting on? 

 

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of either of these but I love both of the covers! Thanks for sharing, I'll keep an eye out for these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Between the Sea and the Sky...that looks amazing! I love the Little Mermaid and Ever After, and this book looks like a nice mix of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =D Thanks for mentioning Between the Sea and Sky. I love that quote from Ever After too, although I wasn't consciously thinking of it when I started writing my book... but who knows what's stored in the subconscious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOO Between the Sea and Sky sounds amazing! There are so many great mermaid books coming out! That must be the next big thing =) Definitely going on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few more pages of the ARC of In the Shadow Of The Lamp and it is amazing! I haven't read any of Dunlap's books before but I LOVE the way she writes and I couldn't put it down. I think you'll really enjoy it! :)

    Yay-another mermaid book! I'll add it to my TBR list- the cover is so beautiful,.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails