September 29, 2010

Waiting on Wednesday: Fractured and The Traitor's Smile

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:


Fractured: Happily Never After? 3 Tales by Joanna Karaplis


Goodreads' description:

"Everyone knows a fairytale or two. They’re the kind of stories that seem to stick with you. Maybe it’s the magic. Maybe it’s the handsome prince. Or maybe they’re just the absolute perfect place to lose yourself for a little while.

But what would happen if Snow White were around today? Would Cinderella still need a fairy godmother? And would the Little Mermaid show up on YouTube?

Joanna Karaplis has put an unexpected spin on Snow White, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid; she’s quietly fractured the stories and then reassembled them for the 21st Century. So, while there may not be a whole lot of horse-drawn carriages and magic potions, you can be sure that there will be at least one evil witch and maybe even a handsome prince (or two)…"


Normally I'm not big on short stories...usually I just find they're too short and I want more. But I love fairy tales, and unlike a lot of other genres I think these can actually work as short stories. Plus, that cover? Gorgeous. And I *love* that font. 


The Traitor's Smile by Patricia Elliott




Goodreads' description: 

"Eugenie de Boncoeur has fled the violence of the French Revolution to find sanctuary in England at the home of her cousin, Hetta. At first, the two girls find themselves at loggerheads: Hetta can't understand Eugenie's preoccupation with clothes and appearance, and scorns her politics. Soon, however, they are drawn together by a shared sense of danger, for across the Channel waits the vengeful Pale Assassin, determined to claim Eugenie for himself. With her brother's life at stake, how can she refuse his dreadful bargain? But it will mean sacrificing her chance of love and returning to Paris in the grip of the Terror. Eugenie must now decide her destiny - with or without Hetta's help."

This is the second book in the Pimpernelles series. I liked the first one but it didn't feel that complete, so it's good there's going to be a sequel! 


What books are you waiting on?


 

15 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for introducing me to Fractured!!! Putting it on my TBR list right away!!

    Love the cover :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not familiar with the Pimpernelles series, but this one sounds good, so I might have to track down the first one...
    And the fractured fairy tales idea is intriguing...Enjoy your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great WOW recommends :) I remember in primary school reading Roald Dahl's fractured fairy tales and loving them. I'll definitely being keeping my eye out for them.

    Here's my WOW for the week

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fractured sounds really intriguing and I love the font too. I've never heard of the Pimpernelle's series but it sounds like I would really enjoy them. Thanks for sharing them!

    Thanks for entering my giveaway :D I think that you would like The Chalet School, I prefer it to The Naughtiest Girl series because of the different locations throughout the series and the wonderful characters. I also love the fact that you get to follow the stories of the characters after they leave school into adulthood and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, I know what you mean about feeling sorry for Gil! I love L.M Montgomery, my favourite TV series Road To Avonlea has been adapted by the same people who made the Megan Follows AOGG films.

    ReplyDelete
  6. both of those books look amazing! i've never heard of them before. i'm going to add them to my to read list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fractured looks incredible! I'm a total nut for fairytale retellings. Normally I'm not wild about short stories either but I think these connect really well. This is definitely going on my wishlist. Great pick!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fractured caught my interest...I love fairy tales, and can't wait to see what a modern twist can do to "happily-ever-after."

    Here's mine:

    http://lindsaymalone.wordpress.com/2010/09/29/waiting-on-wednesday-sept-29/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fractured sounds right up my alley---I love a good fairy-tale retelling!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to discover that you're a Road To Avonlea fan! I found the first box set in the library when I was about 9 and fell in love with it and have since been collecting all the box sets at Birthdays and Christmases as the Europe region DVDs are quite expensive. I just have the seventh volume to watch now, I'm going to be very sad when I've finished it! I love Sara too, she's such a likable characte and Felicity and Gus are sooo lovely together. I accidentally found out their ending online but I can't wait to watch the actual episodes.
    I need to read the Anne of Green Gables series again to familiarise with what happens in each book again. Megan Follows is brilliant as Anne in the movies but I do think they took a lot of artistic licence in the third movie. The musical sounds wonderful, I must go and see one some day.
    You're so lucy to have been to PEI, I dream of doing that one day, I imagine it would feel a little like home after watching RTA so much!

    I wish there were series like RTA on the TV now, some good oldfashioned fun is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, very cool! I haven't heard of either of these. What an amazing cover on Fractured!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the cover of Fractured. Another to be added to my wish list?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice picks, both of these are new to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails