September 13, 2010

Still Alice: In A Nutshell (Adult)

A lot of my reviews have been quite lengthy, so I thought I'd start doing some that are more like mini-reviews. Basically, summing up the book and my opinion of it in a nutshell!


Still Alice by Lisa Genova



One sentence sum-up: The story of a woman who loses a bit more of herself each month as she struggles with early-onset Alzheimer's disease.


My reaction: This book made me tear up, it was that sad and frightening and so well-written. You feel like you're losing your memory right along with Alice, and it's one of the scariest things you can imagine.


If I could change something... Well, this is minor, but the part about Alice's "Butterfly" plan was rather confusing, so a bit more clarity there would be nice.

In a word: heartwrenching.

Shooting stars:

Quote: 

"I miss myself."
"I miss you, too, Ali, so much."
"I never planned to get like this."
"I know."


Recommend for: anyone interested in psychology, especially memory, and anyone who has had someone close to them afflicted with Alzheimer's.

Author's website: www.lisagenova.com

Note: this is an adult book and while I don't recall much material I would consider "inappropriate" for a YA audience, the tone and subject matter would be best appreciated by older readers.

3 comments:

  1. from one chocoholic to another... yum. But seriously, I'm glad there's a book out there that explores Alzheimers. So sad. I'm seeing it firsthand with a family member...But she hasn't lost her taste for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book, and I really love this type of review! I might have to steal your idea sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's easier to write this type of review too, lol :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails