September 10, 2010

Forget-Me-Nots: The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

This is a feature on my blog for highlighting books I enjoyed in childhood and the teenage years that I don't see getting much attention nowadays.

This week's pick:

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards


This book has officially the most awesome title ever. Seriously.

Also, it's written by Julie Andrews. That's right. THE Julie Andrews. From the Sound of Music.

Review from Amazon.com:

"What on earth is a Whangdoodle? A "fanciful creature of undefined nature," it was also once the wisest, kindest, most fun-loving living thing in the world--until people stopped believing in it. When that lack of faith became widespread, the last of the really great Whangdoodles created a special land full of extraordinary creatures: furry Flukes, the sly High-Behind Splintercat, and the wonderful Whiffle Bird. But when an open-minded professor--the one adult who still believes in the Whangdoodle--joins forces with three children with active imaginations, they become an unstoppable team on a fantastic and sometimes terrifying journey to Whangdoodleland.

Readers who have explored Narnia, Oz, or Willy Wonka's chocolate factory will be thrilled at this new destination--a marvelous land that will inspire and stimulate creative and scientific minds. And who better to expose young readers to new ways of seeing, smelling, and hearing than Julie (Andrews) Edwards of Mary Poppins and The Sound of Music fame? Her lively and clever style pulls readers along effortlessly; she, like the professor, is one grownup who can teach children never to close their minds to possibility."

Pure and simple, this book is all about imagination, creativity, and believing in what everyone else thinks is impossible. There are so many fabulous make-believe creatures in this book! It is aimed at middle-grade readers (ages 9-12), and the kids do learn some 'lessons' throughout the story...but you can't help but love the Whangdoodle (and the Whifflebird!!)

Anyone else enjoy this book when they were younger?

7 comments:

  1. Julie Andrews WROTE A BOOK?!?!

    I have to read this! So amazing....!

    Eeee, thanks for the post, Danya, you are awesome! I have to pick this up. Somewhere.


    ●▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬●

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ten year old brother has read this book and loves it, he has the edition of the cover on the right. Seeing this and being reminded that Julie Andrews wrote it makes me want to go and read it!

    Thanks for hopping by my blog, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Double posting >< Sorry.

    But oh, I see now. No wonder why it's less well-known. Usually celeb books get a lot of buzz.

    What did you think of her writing? Was it good for an actress/singer?

    And yes, LOVE the title. XD Very Dr. Seuss.

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I read Innocent Traitor and I loved it! I think I liked it more than The Lady Elizabeth but it has been a while. Lady Jane Grey is such a facinating person in history! I hope you are having a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just following up- thanks for following & visiting my blog! :D

    I haven't seen this before. Sadly. It's *possible* I've read it though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have given you an award on my blog!
    http://everylastpage.blogspot.com/2010/09/thank-you-to-crescive-library-passing.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this book...always have! I wish more kids would read it. I have a copy on my family room table right now. I did not read it as a kid though. I was all grown up when I fell in love with it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails