April 16, 2012

"New Adult" Niche: Guest Post by Chachic


I'm very happy to welcome Chachic from Chachic's Book Nook to the blog today for a guest post! This is part of the "New Adult" Niche feature I'm doing for my "New Adult" Reading Challenge. Chachic is the blogger who created this awesome Goodreads list last year, which I have now been using as a reference list for the challenge! 

As much as I love reading contemporary YA novels, it saddens me that there aren't as many New Adult titles out there. I keep looking for well-written novels with characters in their late teens or early twenties because I enjoy reading about their experiences: adjusting to college life, trying to figure out what to do after graduating and looking for a job that's a good fit for them. Those things remind me of what I went through at that period in my life and I keep hoping that more authors will realize that readers are just as interested in New Adult as YA. So when Danya invited me to write a guest post for her lovely blog, I thought it would be a good idea to highlight some of the New Adult titles that I've thoroughly enjoyed reading.


Something Like Normal by Trish Doller Travis is only nineteen but he signed up to become a Marine right after high school and he's been assigned to Afghanistan so Something Like Normal has an older vibe than other contemporary YA novels. Travis is dealing with some serious issues because of his experiences in the war.

The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta I love Melina Marchetta's writing, her characters just feel so alive. The Piper's Son occurs several years after its companion novel, Saving Francesca, with characters that are older but not necessarily wiser. The book has two main characters: twenty-one-year old Tom Mackee and his aunt Georgie.

Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar Instead of studying in university, Carly dropped out and works the night shift in a cafe so she can surf as much as she wants during the day. So she definitely doesn't have typical high school worries. And her love interest? Twenty-six-year old Ryan, who's also a surfer.

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols This is a classic story of bad girl meets good boy but with much more complicated characters. Going Too Far has such a great slow burn romance between wild girl Meg and young cop, John After.

Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park Yay for novels set in college! I could relate to Julie's excitement at starting college and it was a lot of fun seeing her get to know the quirky members of the Watkins family. I also loved that social media sites (like Facebook) were an important aspect in this novel.

Jane by April Lindner In this modern-day retelling of Jane Eyre, Jane is a young college student who works as a nanny for the daughter of reclusive rock star, Nico Rathburn. If you're a big fan of Jane Eyre, then you should check out this retelling. But I have a feeling readers will enjoy this even if they're not familiar with the original classic novel.


These New Adult titles are installments in series so I won't say anything about them to avoid spoilers but I do recommend that you go through the earlier books so you can check these out:

Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Charmed Thirds by Megan McCafferty
Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White

Thank you, Danya, for inviting me to write a guest post for your blog. Feel free to recommend New Adult titles that you think I'd enjoy!

Thanks, Chachic, for sharing your favourite New Adult reads with us! The Piper's Son is definitely on my TBR list (in fact, it's sitting on my shelf right now, waiting to be read!)

Readers, have you read any of the books Chachic has recommended? Do you have any New Adult suggestions for her?

 

28 comments:

  1. I think it's great that this category of novels exist. We can only hope it will grow and grow. That whole period of time after high school is so full of discovery and really great stories, so why wouldn't people want to read about it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jamie, I agree. I would love to see more New Adult titles published. It would be great if it can become as popular as YA is right now. I'm pretty sure a lot of readers just as interested in college students as they are in high school ones.

      Delete
  2. Hah, it's not a Chachic post without a MM reference. ;) Fun guest post! I really liked WHERE SHE WENT, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, hey I can't help it because MM wrote one of my favorite New Adult novels. :P Me too, really liked Where She Went even when I thought If I Stay ended quite nicely.

      Delete
  3. I'll have to pick up some of these books. They sound interesting. I do remember reading a review of Raw Blue on here. I just wish there were more books to choose from, there are a lot of indie books in this genre, but I don't know if they've made enough of an impact to be noticed by traditional publishers outside of St. Martin's. I see a lot of stories in this genre are also being sent out as serials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Najela, Raw Blue has gotten a lot of well-deserved attention in the blogosphere and I think that's great. What are some of the indie books that you can recommend? Flat-Out Love is a self-published novel and I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic suggestions, Chachic! I'm with you 100% on New Adult lit. I love it, and wish there were more of it. I'm reading the Jessica Darling series now, and am still working up to Where She Went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I liked about the Jessica Darling series is I felt like Jessica grew up with me and my friends as the story progressed - it started with her in high school and continued all throughout her college years. My favorite in that series is Second Helpings because Marcus Flutie is awesome in that installment. :P

      Delete
  5. Raw Blue is everywhere. It needs to be here in my hands. I want it so.

    I love the Jessica Darling series. Marcus Flutie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get a copy of Raw Blue soon! And I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll enjoy reading it.

      Yep, Marcus Flutie is ♥

      Delete
  6. Great post on a great emerging genre. I'm always happy to hear RAW BLUE, JANE, and LONG MAY SHE REIGN mentioned!

    I AM THE MESSENGER and MARCELO IN THE REAL WORLD are two of my other favorite new adult books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raw Blue, Jane and Long May She Reign are perfect for the New Adult classification, right? :P And they deserve to get more attention.

      I haven't read I Am the Messenger and Marcelo in the Real World but both are on my wishlist! And the Secret Society series as well, I know how much you love those books.

      Delete
  7. Great recs! I've read some but not all of them.
    I needz to get reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, hope you enjoy reading the other titles in this list! Thanks for dropping by to check it out.

      Delete
  8. I'm with you on the standalone recs you suggested (except Piper's Son because that's the only one I haven't read, so I need to get to that). There's also um.. let me remember.. a new New Adult series coming out from Gemma Burgess, called Union Street, that I'm looking forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice, read Saving Francesca first before The Piper's Son because they're companion novels. Although they were written to be standalones. And I'm going to sneakily remind you to read Jellicoe Road as well. :P That Gemma Burgess series sounds interesting - you'll probably get to read it before I do so I'll just wait for your feedback.

      Delete
  9. Great guest post, thanks for having Chachic on your blog, Danya! I'd like to read more New Adult books, I didn't even realise they were a thing, but there should be more of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me happy to spread the word about New Adult. I wouldn't have known about it if not for the bloggers I follow. Yep, we really need more New Adult reads.

      Delete
  10. This sound like great books. I will have to check them out. I love the Jessica Darling series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bianca, hope you enjoy reading them! My favorite in the Jessica Darling series is Second Helpings. :P

      Delete
  11. Awesome list! I'm going to go check out these books. One of my novels has an 18-yr old protagonist, and I'm working on another one. I don't know if "new adult" will ever take off as a legit category, but I'd love to be a part of it if it does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalya, I think it's great that you're writing New Adult novels! Even if it doesn't take off as a category, I'm sure there are a lot of readers who will be interested in your characters.

      Delete
  12. Hey I'm just getting around to reading this post and it's great! I so need to read SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL -- I didn't realize it was a New Adult read. Also RAW BLUE. Love all these other books on your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, saw your recent review of Something Like Normal and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! Will keep my fingers crossed that you'll like Raw Blue (that's actually one of Trish's inspirations for Something Like Normal :P)

      Delete
  13. Loved Raw Blue. Loved The Piper's Son. Love Melina. Love Thomas. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Marcus Flutie. Love New Adult. Love this post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the love! Always nice to meet a fellow New Adult fan. :P

      Delete
  14. I've read 5 of those first 6 as well as 'Where She Went'. Definitely much love for 'The Piper's Son' and 'Flat-Out Love'... two of my faves! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, you've read so many from the list! Hope you enjoy reading the rest.

      Delete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails