September 28, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Dark Eden and Getting Somewhere



Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks are, of course, psychology-related to fit with Psychtember!


Dark Eden by Patrick Carman



From Goodreads:

"Fifteen-year-old Will Besting is sent by his doctor to Fort Eden, an institution meant to help patients suffering from crippling phobias. Once there, Will and six other teenagers take turns in mysterious fear chambers and confront their worst nightmares—with the help of the group facilitator, Rainsford, an enigmatic guide. When the patients emerge from the chamber, they feel emboldened by the previous night's experiences. But each person soon discovers strange, unexplained aches and pains. . . What is really happening to the seven teens trapped in this dark Eden?

Patrick Carman's Dark Eden is a provocative exploration of fear, betrayal, memory, and— ultimately—immortality."

I haven't read that many books dealing with specific phobias. I know this one's supposed to be more of a thriller but I'm definitely hoping the psychology aspects are portrayed accurately! It does sound creepy and exciting, though.



Getting Somewhere by Beth Neff 



"Four girls: dealer, junkie, recluse, thief.

Sarah, Jenna, Lauren, and Cassie may look like ordinary girls, but they’re not. They’re delinquents whose lives collide when they’re sent to an experimental juvenile detention program on a farm in the middle of nowhere. As the girls face up to the crimes they committed, three of them will heal the wounds of their pasts and discover strengths they never dreamed they had. And one, driven by a deep secret of her own, will seek to destroy everything they’ve all worked so hard for."


I'm interested to see how addictions are handled in this one! And it's often fun to have different characters thrown together in an unusual situation and forced to interact with each other. Very funky cover, too!

What books are you waiting for?



6 comments:

  1. I really love that cover for Getting Somewhere. I'm not sure if the story would appeal to me but it does look interesting.

    My Waiting on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both these books sound interesting, especially Dark Eden- it would make the perfect October read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been waiting for Dark Eden for a while now :) It looks great - good choice!

    Check out my WoW this week here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got Dark Eden waiting on the shelf for me but I'd never heard of Getting Somewhere. Both sound fantastic! Great WoWs!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, both of these are on my to read list! I really like seeing recovery in books but Getting Somehwere sounds like it'll be a lot more intense than any I've read before. Can't wait to read both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh cool I just got a copy of Dark Eden for review I'm hoping it's good - it sounds pretty cool.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads
    Don't forget to enter my giveaway for an ARC of Legend.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails