September 23, 2011

Forget-Me-Nots: Dare to Be, M.E.!

 
Forget-Me-Nots is a feature on my blog for highlighting books I enjoyed in childhood and the teenage years that I don't see getting much attention nowadays.

This is another Psychtember edition of Forget-Me-Nots!

Dare to Be, M.E.! by Anne LeMieux


From Goodreads: 

"Mary Ellen hardly knows her best friend Justine. After a year in France, Justine has returned to start junior high, convinced that she needs a new image. She has a new haircut, wearing tons of makeup, crazy clothes, and looks much older. She's so out of touch with reality it's almost funny. Except Mary Ellen doesn't realize that her friend's crazy new image is part of a much more serious problem."

This was one of my favourite books when I was younger (probably when I was about 10 or 11, since it's an MG novel). I think it's probably one of the first books I read that dealt with a character who is bulimic, and I really enjoyed seeing how its effect on the girls' friendship is portrayed. The main character Mary Ellen is very relatable, as are her ups and downs with Justine, school, and first love.

Has anyone else read this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails