January 13, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday: Masks and Shadows

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!
 
Masks and Shadows by Stephanie Burgis

25893822
 
 
Goodreads' description:

"The year is 1779, and Carlo Morelli, the most renowned castrato singer in Europe, has been invited as an honored guest to Eszterháza Palace. With Carlo in Prince Nikolaus Esterházy's carriage, ride a Prussian spy and one of the most notorious alchemists in the Habsburg Empire. Already at Eszterháza is Charlotte von Steinbeck, the very proper sister of Prince Nikolaus's mistress. Charlotte has retreated to the countryside to mourn her husband's death. Now, she must overcome the ingrained rules of her society in order to uncover the dangerous secrets lurking within the palace's golden walls. Music, magic, and blackmail mingle in a plot to assassinate the Habsburg Emperor and Empress--a plot that can only be stopped if Carlo and Charlotte can see through the masks worn by everyone they meet."
 
I believe this is Stephanie Burgis's first adult novel... and it looks awesome! That cover! That synopsis! "Music, magic, and blackmail..." Um, why YES, I *would* be very interested in reading that, please and thank you.
 
What books are you waiting for?
 

4 comments:

  1. Great pick, I love the cover and hope that you get a chance to read it soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look up the author because I sort of recognized the name, but couldn't quite place it. Now I know she wrote the Kat, Incorrigible series of books - which I have not read yet, but have heard a number of good things about. I hope this adult book plays just as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started but never finished the first book in the Kat, Incorrigible series – I think maybe it was a little too 'middle-grade' in tone for me. But I know there are plenty of bloggers who like that series, so I feel like at some point perhaps I should give it another try.

      Delete
  3. Sounds interesting. I like the bit about seeing through the masks. I imagine some of it is literally and some figuratively from the cover. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails