January 26, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: A Girl Called Tennyson and Sean Griswold's Head

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:

A Girl Called Tennyson by Joan Givner


"Anne “Tenn” Tennyson Miller’s adventure begins during an ordinary ferry trip, but reality soon melts away as Tenn is transported to the fantasy land of Greensward.

When she arrives in Greensward, Tenn is elected to rescue her new friend, Una, who has been spirited away to a nearby country occupied by evil forces determined to destroy the harmony of Greensward. Before she sets out on her dangerous mission she is trained by the wise woman, Bethan, who understands the enemy’s weaknesses and offers Tenn resources and information that can help her on her mission.

Once in enemy territory she uses Bethan’s supplies and teachings, as well as her own keen memory and wealth of knowledge, to sustain her quest. She is eventually successful in finding Una but then discovers that there are many other children who must also be saved and returned to Greensward.

This classic fantasy quest from established YA author Joan Givner takes young readers on an adventure written in the British tradition, fused with a contemporary voice. Givner alludes to the work of Tennyson, as “Tenn” loves poetry, story and rhyme; in fact it will be her love of great writers that helps her in her quest and leads her to success."

I don't know much about Tennyson but what better way to learn more than through a novel? The cover is creepy and haunting in a subtle kind of way, definitely evokes the feeling of traditional, epic fantasy.

And for something a little lighter...


Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt


"According to her guidance counselor, fifteen-year-old Payton Gritas needs a focus object—an item to concentrate her emotions on. It's supposed to be something inanimate, but Payton decides to use the thing she stares at during class: Sean Griswold's head. They've been linked since third grade (Griswold-Gritas—it's an alphabetical order thing), but she's never really known him.

The focus object is intended to help Payton deal with her father's newly diagnosed multiple sclerosis. And it's working. With the help of her boy-crazy best friend Jac, Payton starts stalking—er, focusing on—Sean Griswold . . . all of him! He's cute, he shares her Seinfeld obsession (nobody else gets it!) and he may have a secret or two of his own.

In this sweet story of first love, Lindsey Leavitt seamlessly balances heartfelt family moments, spot-on sarcastic humor, and a budding young romance."

I love that she chooses his head to be her focus object! This one just sounds super funny and sweet and it'll be interesting to see how the multiple sclerosis/psychology side of it is handled. 



What books are you waiting on?


9 comments:

  1. Both look like great choices. The second looks like something I'd enjoy so I might consider getting a copy when it's published!

    Mostly Reading YA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get them soon and enjoy them when you get your hands on them. The second one sounds like a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover definitely is creepy but in a compelling way - I like it! Have a great week and happy reading. My WOw pick is here

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the first cover. I hope when you get these books, they will be everything you hope them to be. Wanna see what I am Waiting On Wednesday for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The description of Sean Griswold's head looks awesome and really makes me want to read it! The other one looks awesome too! Thanks for sharing about these books, I haven't heard about them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving the sound of both of these, and I love the fact that they're polar opposites! Great picks, Danya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second one is already on my WL but I hadn't heard of the first one and it sounds GOOD! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't heard of this two but the sound great, Hope you enjoy them .

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you introduce me to new books. Both are going to be added to my wishlist.

    Oh, and King Midas is a Greek myth. I just forgot Rumpelstiltskin also has the ability to turn things into gold and is a fairytale creature so it would make more sense for a character of Dust City to be based on him than King Midas. Silly me, I remembered it at the end.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails