January 3, 2011

Forget-Me-Nots: The Perilous Gard

This is a feature on my blog for highlighting books I enjoyed in childhood and the teenage years that I don't see getting much attention nowadays.

This week's pick: The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope


Goodreads' description:

"Exiled and enslaved against her will -- can Kate outwit her captors?

Because her sister Alicia sent an impulsive letter to Queen Mary, Kate Sutton, lady-in-waiting to Princess Elizabeth, has been exiled. Sent to Elvenwood, "The Perilous Guard," Kate is intrigued by the master of the isolated castle, Sir Geoffrey Heron, and his strangely silent brother, Christopher. Elvenwood is shrouded in secrets that no one will explain to Kate, so she sets out to find some answers on her own. But her curiosity almost kills her, for she stumbles upon the otherworldly province of the secret residents of the land around Elvenwood - the People of the Hill. And the People want to make Kate a slave for life.
"

I really like that this novel combines a historical setting and dealings with the fey. The author's depiction of the Fairy Folk and the life Kate must endure while underground definitely stands out, and the relationship building is gradual and believable despite the limitations of circumstance that are imposed. The writing has an old-fashioned feel that suits the time period and story.


Plus, it received the Newbery Honor award!

Anyone remember this book?


4 comments:

  1. I've got this one sitting on my need to read soon shelf. I've been wanting to read it, but have never gotten to it, but it's great to see that you liked it! Makes me want to read it sooner now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this...how is that possible? I definitely need to. Great feature, Danya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the sound of this one! The historical and fey elements seem like a good combination.

    Yes, I'm sure you'll enjoy The Healer's Apprentice, Revolution and In The Shadow Of Th Lamp when yuou can get hold of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this book, but I haven't read it yet It's on my TBR though :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails