August 20, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday: When My Heart Was Wicked and The Midnight Queen

Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine and features books that we just can't wait to get our hands on!

This week's picks:

When My Heart Was Wicked by Tricia Stirling


Goodreads' description:

"'I used to be one of those girls. The kind who loved to deliver bad news. When I colored my hair, I imagined it seeping into my scalp, black dye pooling into my veins.

But that was the old Lacy. Now, when I cast spells, they are always for good.'

16-year-old Lacy believes that magic and science can work side by side. She's a botanist who knows how to harness the healing power of plants. So when her father dies, Lacy tries to stay with her step-mother in Chico, where her magic is good and healing. She fears the darkness that her real mother, Cheyenne, brings out, stripping away everything that is light and kind.

Yet Cheyenne never stays away for long. Beautiful, bewitching, unstable Cheyenne who will stop at nothing, not even black magic, to keep control of her daughter's heart. She forces Lacy to accompany her to Sacramento, and before long, the "old" Lacy starts to resurface.

But when Lacy survives a traumatic encounter, she finds herself faced with a choice. Will she use her powers to exact revenge and spiral into the darkness forever? Or will she find the strength to embrace the light?
"

First, that cover...just gorgeous! The autumnal colour scheme, the hair turning into ravens, the ink-style font... wow.

And I think the premise has potential, too. Love that it sounds like it focuses on a mother-daughter relationship (rather than being romance-centred) and said relationship sure sounds complex. I'm a little wary about how the magic/"witchy" element will be handled, but hopefully it'll work for me.

The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter


Goodreads' description:

"In the hallowed halls of Oxford’s Merlin College, the most talented—and highest born—sons of the Kingdom of Britain are taught the intricacies of magickal theory. But what dazzles can also destroy, as Gray Marshall is about to discover…

Gray’s deep talent for magick has won him a place at Merlin College. But when he accompanies four fellow students on a mysterious midnight errand that ends in disaster and death, he is sent away in disgrace—and without a trace of his power. He must spend the summer under the watchful eye of his domineering professor, Appius Callender, working in the gardens of Callender’s country estate and hoping to recover his abilities. And it is there, toiling away on a summer afternoon, that he meets the professor’s daughter.

Even though she has no talent of her own, Sophie Callender longs to be educated in the lore of magick. Her father has kept her isolated at the estate and forbidden her interest; everyone knows that teaching arcane magickal theory to women is the height of impropriety. But against her father’s wishes, Sophie has studied his ancient volumes on the subject. And in the tall, stammering, yet oddly charming Gray, she finally finds someone who encourages her interest and awakens new ideas and feelings.

Sophie and Gray’s meeting touches off a series of events that begins to unravel secrets about each of them. And after the king’s closest advisor pays the professor a closed-door visit, they begin to wonder if what Gray witnessed in Oxford might be even more sinister than it seemed. They are determined to find out, no matter the cost…"


I like the cover of this one as well — it's simple but striking, and those purplish-blue hues are beautiful. I don't tend to read a lot of adult (or perhaps this one would be considered New Adult) fantasy books, but this one appeals to me since it's set in our world at a magical college. The whole notion of gender roles in this society sounds intriguing, too. (Why are women not allowed to learn magic???)

What books are you waiting for?


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I think you'll love THE MIDNIGHT QUEEN! It was fantastic (and there's definitely YA crossover potential...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of the covers are amazing! And I love the idea of a mother-daughter relationship in When My Heart Was Wicked. The Midnight Queen sounds interesting too. Great picks, I hadn't heard of them before so thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of both of these and I'm already liking their covers. When My Heart is Wicked sounds pretty interesting. I'll probably lookout for that one. Nice pick! :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails