July 6, 2017

The Song Rising: A Rambling Review (Adult)

The Song Rising by Samantha Shannon

So, that was intense. The second half of the book really amped up the stakes and I felt like I was right there with Paige. I was a little disappointed with the lack of development of the Paige/Warden relationship (and that Warden didn't get a larger role, because I love his character). It seemed like they were getting emotionally separated to increase the drama more than because it would have naturally stemmed from the characters themselves (although Paige is, admittedly, rather closed-off, so it wasn't a huge stretch). (Why can those two not just TALK everything out??)

This book feels more like a "stepping stone" book than the previous ones have. A lot of the first half was chasing information down and rehashing conversations; however, things really picked up in the second half. I liked how Paige ended up playing such a pivotal role in the climax. There was also a reveal there that I definitely did not see coming.

Also, I enjoyed getting to see voyant communities outside of London, and it looks like we'll get to see some more of that in the next book! I think I didn't like this book quite as much as the previous two but I'm still looking forward to seeing what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so post away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails